Saturday, September 22, 2012

Jacob, Wordiness, and Michael Hyatt

My students read The Poisonwood Bible this summer and we were talking about the significance of names in the novel, specifically Rachel and Leah.
Of course they didn’t know about Rachel and Leah.
Honestly, the whole Jacob and Esau and Rachel and Leah and Laban hexagon of a traffic accident of a Bible story isn’t my favorite. There’s simply too much drama for my taste and it makes me very nervous.  
Nevertheless, the lessons are pretty good. And with the help of some writing I did last summer, I am committing to you, right now, to publish six days in a row this week on the subject of six really important lessons Jacob teaches us via his own not-so-funny comedy of errors.
In fewer than 500 words per entry as well, and here's why:
I’m reading Michael Hyatt’s book Platform and he’s saying brevity is good for blogging and 500 words should be a maximum for any entry. It makes sense. You people don’t have time to listen to me blabber on with your busy lives and reality television. That being said, I’m averaging over 700 words an entry, so I will be trimming down thirty percent.
We’ll see. That’s all I’m saying on the subject right now. Although there is some useful information in the book, I’m not 100 percent drinking the Kool-Aid because he also doesn’t advocate sophisticated language, which, in my opinion, is insulting to the reader. We complain about illiteracy and intellectual sloth in this country, but yet we’re advocating dumbing down language in writing? How do we expect people to educate themselves in the utilization of quality vocabulary if it isn’t presented in context? Talk about a fallacy in logic I cannot fathom.
 Granted Hyatt was the president of the seventh largest publishing company in America, and he is an expert in the field of selling books. That isn’t debatable. I just disagree with his philosophy on language and turning people off by using it.
Of course this shouldn’t surprise anyone.
Anyway, after one tangent, I have said all I need to say. And I’m only at 354 words. Impressive, right? So come back tomorrow for the first installment of Days of Our Biblical Lives to learn about the first lesson of life of life via Jacob (in less than 500 words).

1 comment:

  1. I read 500-1000 max. I have seen too many blogs go way over that and my attention span isnt that long.

    ReplyDelete