Monday, August 1, 2011

Guess What-- I have a PURPOSE for my PURPOSE!!!

I decided I wanted a purpose. And I wanted to blog about my purpose.
This was a month ago. Unfortunately, I didn’t have a purpose.
But I set up the blog site. So that meant I had to find a purpose.
Soon
Before I forget I needed to have a purpose.  
And now I will stop writing in fragments because I FOUND A PURPOSE!!!
*****************************************************************
I finished the book The Interior Castle by St. Theresa of Avila and was writing a review on my Goodreads account. As tried to write, it occurred to me I had nothing specific to say.
Some of the most profound writing I’ve experienced, but yet I could not explain why.
For this reason, I’ve decided The Interior Castle shouldn’t be read in one sitting, but should be divided and consumed like a meditation, as it possesses so much wisdom I cannot begin to fathom how one could utilize the information well in any other way.
So now I have my purpose.
For roughly the next six months, I am committing myself to blogging about The Interior Castle by St. Teresa of Avila daily. I will read a section in the morning. I will write during the day when I get free moments (ha, ha—I teach high school—there are no free moments that don’t have a price!), and will compose the blog in the evening before bed.
That’s the plan. Here are some things to keep in mind.
1.      For the most part I am keeping this to my own observations and commentary. This is a book so applicable to life it amazes me she was addressing nuns in the fifteenth century.
2.      Please know I am not a Biblical scholar or theologian. For this reason, when I “go there” I am sticking strictly to the footnotes, Biblical references, and contextual information I research. If I mess something up, forgive me, but correct me as well.
3.      I am not a Catholic either. Actually, I was raised in the Church of Christ. Why, you ask, would someone with an evangelical background value a book written by a Catholic mystic? Because it’s really that good. Period.
4.      As an English teacher, I might occasionally get into "stuff" like tone, mood, analogies, extended metaphors, theme, etc. Forgive me. I can’t help it. But I won’t do it often and I will keep it in context.
5.      Talk with me. I’d love to hear your thoughts as well.

As we go through this, I encourage your prayers. This is a book about developing a personal relationship with our Lord. How ironic would it be to not pray within this reading? If you don't know what to pray about, pray for me. Pray for wisdom, pray for peace.

Pray for what you know is right.

No comments:

Post a Comment